Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 72 - Coral Bay

I called early, luckily, about a glass bottom boat tour, we made it on the 9am trip. This was the only one availale.

I had forgotten how beautiful the corals are here, very different to Turqouise Bay. Below is a cabbage coral, Georgina's favourite. The texture of the plate coral, to the bottom right of the photo, looks like a Maseur sandal. We saw many fish, but sadly, all green turtles eluded us.


 

After our boat trip, we plopped on the beach and didn't move for some time. The girls built a boat in the sand, I dozed, Justin relaxed. Coral Bay is not tough to take. Justin and I started nutting out how we could get back here for a longer visit. Stay tuned for the Coral Bay blog! Justin took the girls back to the camp for lunch while I di the drift snorkel past the point into the bay. The corals really add something to the snorkel experience. You are well above the formations, so you don't need to worry about getting cut by the coral. I went through the area they call the lavender patch, full of purple branching corals. I enjoyed the sights so much I did it twice. Once I was back at camp, I recommended it strongly to Justin. He took off to do it straight away. While he was snorkelling, our neighbour told us about the fish feeding at the beach, so I rushed down with the girls. One of the tours feed the spangled emperor fish each evening. We lined up and were given fish pellets to drop in the water. The fish swim all around you, tickling your legs as they go through.

 

We met Justin on the beach at the end of his snorkel. He loved it. It is much less stressful snorkelling without supervising the girls, and with plenty of clearance above the coral. We went back to camp and I dragged out one of housewife's favourites for dinner, curried sausages. Daggy but tasty! The wind picked up, in the evening, we hoped it would die down for our pack up in the morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment