Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 25 - Alice Springs

I remembered going to Standley Chasm last time I came here, so we decided to revisit it for my sake. We walked along a rocky creekbed, again! That part I don't remember.

 

Yesterday Justin and I got Phoebe's camera working, so she was snap happy on the walk. I am so happy her camera is functioning again.

The actual chasm is exactly as I remember it, simple and stunning.

 

Georgina tried to cross the rocks in the water to the end of the chasm, but one was wobbly and she got her shoes and socks wet. Not happy, Jan!

 

Georgina in happier times.

 

The girls turned the large rock in the below photo into a slide, somewhere I probably sat 30 years ago. I'll check the photos when I return.

 

Justin pretended to get stuck in a rock to amuse the girls, but I wonder if he really was a little trapped...

 

We had wanted to go to Glen Helen Gorge, but time was running out, as we had the didgeridoo show on at 8pm. I don't like to discuss domestic issues, but we had to do a mega shop before we left Alice the next morning. We ate Asian noodle salad, one of my favourites. I had made jelly the night before and left it outside the fridge to set as it got down to minus three degrees last night! Awful.

 

The Sounds of Starlight show was mostly a modern style didgeridoo concert with some beautiful photographic images. We saw the Todd River in flood. We also took part in a log jam session as part of the show. Justin was on the large drums.

 

Phoebe on the bongo drums, third fom the left.

 

I got to shake a red egg shaped thing with rice in it. George and Lexi were a bit too shy to play some other drums.

Andrew Langford gave tips on how to play the didge and getting your circular breathing right. He certainly knows how to play one. I would need a lot of practice. The didgeridoo is traditionally only played by men. Andrew showed us similar instruments from different countries. One from Austria was made of hemp, an agave one from South America and a curved one from Indonesia. The decorated aboriginal ones look better.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment