Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 32 - Katherine Gorge to Kakadu

There are sweet faced wallabies all around the campsite here.

 

A few of our neighbours made the mistake of leaving their food out overnight despite warnings to pack everything away. Then there is very little sweet about them as they tear open plastic containers to have an easy feed.

 

We got out of the campground at a good time, but we didn't leave the town of Katherine until 1pm. Justin visited the camping shop to get new knobs and jets for the stove. He had to dismantle the stove to get the correct valves, this took some time. I had to do a major shop, and the crowds at Woolworths were four deep at all open registers, and trolleys were over full. No one was getting their ice-cream home in a frozen state! I also picked up these cloth badges after searching for some at most places during our stay.

 

The Cutta Cutta Caves badge amuses me, if they didn't tell you what the design was representing, it would be very hard to work out. Classic.

Therefore our arrival in Kakadu was later than we would have liked. Camping at Jim Jim falls wasn't an option as it was 100km away on a 4WD only road, unless we were prepared to arrive around 8pm. We prefer to set up in some daylight. We chose Garijug Lodge near Yellow Waters Billabong instead. I booked in for the billabong cruise at the same OEM as checking in. Only once we had put the camper trailer up did we recall someone had told us they cleared out from this camp site due to excessive mosquitoes. Great. I am a beacon for these pests. I doused myself and then the girls in the heavy duty Bushmans friend. I was following airplane safety procedures, if I'm not safe first, I can't help my children..... I was so distracted by the mossies, I couldn't tell you what we ate that night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment